Resolving duplicate places
We've figured out a new way to deal with duplicate places in Pleiades and will describe it here.
The historical region of Armenia (which we discriminate from the Roman province under Trajan) appears twice in the Barrington Atlas gazetteer and we created two records for it in Pleiades:
- Places: 874350 (Armenia) from map 89 C1
- Places: 884120 (Armenia) from map 90 B1
These are duplicates. We want to remove one of these from the /places container and thereby from the several Pleiades place datasets, but also want to keep track of the duplicate item and redirect users requesting it to the one true Armenia region. After experimenting with a few different ways of doing this, we settled on the simplest. The process requires the Editor role, and here are its steps:
From the duplicates, select the one from the largest scale map or lowest map number. This will be the master. The others are copies.
- Cut (using the "cut" object action) the first copy (the object at /places/884120).
- Browse to the Errata folder and perform the Paste action (making /errata/884120).
- Return to the Places folder and Add a new Link object.
- For the title (and thereby id) of this new link object, use the numeric id of the copy (884120 in this example).
- Enter the relative URL of the master place (/places/874350 in this case) for the remote URL.
- Under the "Categorization" tab of the edit form, add the object at /errata/884120 as a related item.
- Click "Save."
- Publish the link object.
- Repeat for each remaining copy
The result is that we have a Link object at the original URL of each copy which redirects users to the master. The link can carry additional metadata and explanation and a reference to the new URL of the moved copy.
This method has already been applied to the problem of some provinces duplicated within maps 100-102, and may also be applicable to Tom's twin Antitauri Mons: /Members/thomase/my-collections/the-two-antitauri/.
Edited by Tom Elliott on Feb 11, 2013 02:00 PMEdited↑ Compare ↓Edited by Tom Elliott on Nov 28, 2012 01:48 PMEdited↑ Compare ↓Edited by Sean Gillies on Jul 20, 2012 05:48 PM"Some provinces"↑ Compare ↓Edited by Sean Gillies on Jul 20, 2012 05:48 PMInitial revision↑ Compare ↓Edited by Sean Gillies on Jul 20, 2012 05:38 PMEdited↑ Compare ↓Edited by Sean Gillies on Jul 20, 2012 05:33 PMEdited↑ Compare ↓Edited by Sean Gillies on Jul 20, 2012 05:32 PMEdited↑ Compare ↓Edited by Sean Gillies on Jul 20, 2012 05:27 PMEdited↑ Compare ↓