Personal tools
You are here: Home Ancient Places Temple E at Selinus OSM location of Temple E at Selinus

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

OSM location of Temple E at Selinus

a Pleiades location resource

Creators: Jeffrey Becker, Jackson N Miller, Eric Canales
Contributors: Adam Rabinowitz, Tom Elliott
Copyright © The Contributors. Sharing and remixing permitted under terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License (cc-by).
Last modified Aug 01, 2016 01:03 PM History
Representative location based on OpenStreetMap.

temple

{ "type": "Point", "coordinates": [ 12.8344372, 37.5867781 ] }

Substantive

Certain

Generic OSM Accuracy Assessment

representative

  • Classical (Greco-Roman; 550 BC-330 BC) (confident)

OpenStreetMap (Node 459998346, version 1, osm:changeset=2090554, 2009-08-09T21:12:12Z)

The 5th-century temple known conventionally as Temple E is one of three temples built on the eastern hill of Selinunte. Its construction has been variously dated between 490 and 450 BC. It is of the Doric order, and its peripteros is 6 columns wide by 15 long. Five metopes from the pronaos have been found, four of which have been reconstructed: Heracles battling an Amazon, Actaeon being devoured by his dogs before Artemis, Athena battling the Gorgon Enceladus, and Zeus with Hera on Mount Ida. The last is the best preserved and decorated. It is noteworthy that the face, arms and nude body parts of the female figures are made of Parian marble set into the local limestone in which the sculptures of the metopes, including the male bodies, are carved. The temple was destroyed by an earthquake in antiquity, and was reconstructed in 1958.