You are here: Home Ancient Places Abu Simbel The Temple to Ramesses II at Abu Simbel (Original Location)

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

The Temple to Ramesses II at Abu Simbel (Original Location)

a Pleiades location resource

Creators: Nate Nagy
Contributors: Jeffrey Becker, Sean Gillies
Copyright © The Contributors. Sharing and remixing permitted under terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License (cc-by).
Last modified Aug 02, 2016 11:02 PM History
The larger of the two temples at Abu Simbel, dedicated to the triad of Amun, Ra-Horakhty, and Ptah, as well as the deified Ramesses II. The temple was relocated between 1964 and 1968 to prevent its submersion under Lake Nasser after the construction of the Aswan High Dam.

temple

{ "type": "Point", "coordinates": [ 31.626141000000001, 22.335349999999998 ] }

Unknown

Certain

Estimated original locations of Abu Simbel temples


  • New Kingdom Egypt (1548-1086) (confident)
  • Late Byzantine Period (AD 1200-1450) (confident)

Citation:

Pleiades

Points were digitized on  September 15, 2011 by hand in Google Earth using 5.2.1.1329 (beta) at an "eye altitude" of 5000 ft.