Personal tools
Photos

Loading...

Use this tag in Flickr to mark depictions of this place's site(s):

pleiades:depicts=358880029

or this one to mark objects found here:

pleiades:findspot=358880029
Related Content from Pelagios

Loading...

You are here: Home Ancient Places Ešasurra

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Ešasurra

a Pleiades place resource

Creators: Jamie Novotny Copyright © The Contributors. Sharing and remixing permitted under terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License (cc-by).
Last modified Jan 25, 2021 11:27 AM History
tags: ,
The temple of the god Išhara, Ešasurra (“House of the Womb”), was located in the Šuanna district (modern Ishin Aswad) of Babylon. According to the Babylonian topographical text Tintir = Babylon Tablet IV, this was one of two temples in that part of the city, which was located in the southern part of the eastern half of Babylon.

https://pleiades.stoa.org/places/358880029

32.530856, 44.424226
    None

temple

Pleiades

German excavators unearthed this 1710 m² temple in 1901–02. The ruins of the building are now covered by earth. Because its excavators could not identify the divine owner through in-situ inscriptions, the building was first called the “West Temple” and then “Temple Z.” Later on, it was wrongly identified as the temple of the goddess Gula (which is located in the Eridu district of the city). The correct identification of the building as the temple of the god Išhara was established by the Babylonian topographical text Tintir = Babylon Tablet IV, which names only two temples in the Šuanna district (modern Ishin Aswad).


Atom, JSON, KML, RDF+XML, Turtle

Jamie Novotny, 'Ešasurra: a Pleiades place resource', Pleiades: A Gazetteer of Past Places, 2021 <https://pleiades.stoa.org/places/358880029> [accessed: 01 August 2021]

            {{cite web |url=https://pleiades.stoa.org/places/358880029 |title=Places: 358880029 (Ešasurra) |author=Novotny, J. |accessdate=August 1, 2021 8:29 pm |publisher=Pleiades}}