Personal tools
You are here: Home Ancient Places Anaktoron at Pantalika Anaktoron at Pantalika

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Anaktoron at Pantalika

a Pleiades location resource

Creators: Lewin Ernest Staine Copyright © The Contributors. Sharing and remixing permitted under terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License (cc-by).
Last modified Dec 31, 2018 11:25 AM History
The Anaktoron is an enigmatic megalithic building associated with the prehistoric Sicilian settlement of Pantalica; its polygonal blocks may date to the 12-11th c. BC, but the current form of the building seems to be the result of Byzantine reconstruction

temple

{ "type": "Point", "coordinates": [ 15.025667, 37.134221 ] }

Unknown

Certain

Google Earth and DigitalGlobe Imagery 2012

representative

  • 2nd Millennium BCE (2000-1000 BCE) (confident)
  • Early Byzantine (AD 650-850) (confident)

See Further:
Citation:

Pleiades

This building was first investigated by Paolo Orsi, who found Bronze Age material in the vicinity and identified the megalithic, polygonal masonry of one end as the remains of a major Bronze Age structure, which he dubbed the "Anaktoron" (Prince's Palace). If it can indeed be associated with the 12th-11th centuries BC, it is one of the earliest structures at Pantalica. Orsi suggested that the form of the building showed Mycenaean influences, since Mycenaean settlements were established along Sicily's Ionian coast in this period. It has been compared to buildings A and B of the Mycenaean settlement at Thapsos.

On the other hand, most of the remains of the building and the objects associated with the final phase of its use date to the Byzantine period (6th-11th c. AD), and more recent interpretations insist that the entire structure should be associated with Byzantine rather than prehistoric settlement at the site.