You are here: Home Ancient Places Baptistry of Neon Imagery location of Baptistry of Neon

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Imagery location of Baptistry of Neon

a Pleiades location resource

Creators: Jeffrey Becker
Contributors: Tom Elliott
Copyright © The Contributors. Sharing and remixing permitted under terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License (cc-by).
Last modified Jun 29, 2016 10:14 PM History
tags:
An octagonal brick structure erected by Bishop Ursus (late fourth or early fifth century AD) as part of a Basilica (destroyed in 1734). Bishop Neon completed the baptistry at the end of the fifth century AD.

church, monastery

{ "type": "Point", "coordinates": [ 12.197297, 44.415631 ] }

Substantive

Certain

Google Earth and GeoEye Imagery 2012

representative

  • Late Antique (AD 300-AD 640) (confident)
  • Mediaeval/Byzantine (AD 641-AD 1453) (confident)

Pleiades

The Baptistry was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1996.

Coordinates verified by eye in Google Earth at an eye altitude of 180m against imagery dating to 2009. At this eye altitude, the 2009 imagery appears to shift the location of the baptistry about 12m to the east-northeast of its location in Google Earth 'historical imagery' dating to 2003.